Donald Gormley, Director & Principal Consultant
Legal Analyst and Expert in Providing Consulting Services to Global Oil & Gas Organisations
Versatile In-House Counsel and Contracts Consultant with more than 25 years of experience directing Oil & Gas corporations and businesses through legal issues and compliance matters. Expertise in joint ventures, acquisitions, disposals, wide range of commercial contracts, intellectual property licensing , employment law issues and more. Global leader with extensive background in training and coaching legal staff.
Experiences and Achievements
Commercial Contracts Consultant
- Provide consultation on legal terms and conditions of vendor contracts for Capital Projects and Procurement.
- Support projects with major industry leaders, including:
- Britannia Long Term Compression
- Rivers Gas Terminal
- Theddlethorpe Gas Terminal(Freon)Replacement
- Advise and support groups with legal and commercial matters related to supply chain issues, preparation and negotiation of tenders, contractual issues, and VOR/claims settlements and disputes.
- Negotiate contracts, review terms, and develop comprehensive range of compliant templates for business and operations support, as well as to be utilized for training Contracts Specialists.
- Project related contracts include:
- Heavy lift
- Operate in a multi-discipline environment with strong engineering culture to draft, review and develop comprehensive range of contract templates for business and operations support.
- Coach personnel in procurement and supply chain procedures and export laws.
- Ensure contracts and operations are in compliance with anti-bribery provisions and competition law.
MESSRS PAULL & WILLIAMSONS SOLICITORS
- Directed vendor due diligence and provided contracts advice for sale of major global oil service group.
Senior Legal Counsel – Global Strategic Contracts
- Collaborated with General Counsel and COO to manage business functions for global tenders and joint venture entities, as well as to develop strategic plans.
- Established and implemented a global legal function client contract review training program and a shared services model to improve review efficiency.
- Trained staff in US and EU sanctions, US FCPA and anti-bribery provisions, ethics and corporate policies, and general compliance issues.
- Supervised legal counsel during contract reviews, as well as provided legal advice and support on a variety of matters, including international and cross-jurisdictional agreements.
Senior Regional Counsel
- Directed functional and legal support for business operations, including managing team of eight attorneys, for all lines in UK, EU, Africa, Russian Federation, and former Soviet Union republics .
- Negotiated contracts for and advised on a wide array of legal matters, including acquisitions ( most notably Specialised Petroleum Services Group for $165m )and disposals, joint venture agreements ( specifically Kaz M-I with Kaz Munai Gas in Kazakhstan and Azeri M-I with Socar (Azeri NOC) in Azerbaijan), comprehensive range of commercial contracts ,intellectual property and licensing matters, NDAs, foreign corporate entity establishment, employment law and commercial leases
- Facilitated training seminars in compliance, contract review strategies, and corporate governance.
- Served as Board Director for main training UK company and all UK and EU-registered subsidiaries.
Legal Advisor / Commercial Strategist – UK & Norway
- Provided advice and implemented commercial strategy relating to offshore asset pipelines and gas supply to the UK and Europe.
- Handled broad range of upstream and downstream Oil & Gas contracts including:
- Joint Operating Agreements
- Assignments of offshore licences
- Novation Agreements
- Corporate Acquisitions & Disposals
- Farm – In and Out Agreements
- Drilling Contracts
- Supply-chain and procurement Contracts
Senior Associate in Commercial Property and Construction Law Department
- Represented residential and commercial property developer clients in Scotland.
- Negotiated and concluded contracts for £multi-million value developments.
- Represented and advised developer clients in planning appeals and related legal issues.
LEFEVRE & CO
Legal Trainee / Assistant with boutique litigation firm.
Education and Credentials
- Member of the Law Society and Notary Public
- Practicing Certificate, Law Society of Scotland
- Diploma in Legal Practice, University of Aberdeen
- LLB – Bachelor of Law, University of Aberdeen